After the pandemic shut-down and subsequent lay-off in 2020, I began dabbling in making videos, knowing that virtual programming would be an important skill to have as I began job-hunting for a full-time professional position. I experimented with a few different types, and also recorded voiceover to slides from trainings and presentations I had given previously. I set up a YouTube channel, as well as embedding or linking to from the blog. Each category heading below, with the exception of webinars, is a link that will take you to a page with embedded videos.
Once I started working full-time I no longer had the time to devote to the blog, and I found that virtual programming was not something our patrons would engage with or that I enjoyed doing, so I've never added any new videos. But, I'll leave these few here for anyone who might still be interested.
- Sing-n-Say Videos - This is a series of short (15 minutes or so) videos with songs, rhymes, fingerplays, and picture book suggestions around a theme. These are intended both for children to watch and engage with, and to be a resource for children's librarians, parents, and educators.
- Arts & Crafts Videos - A series of short videos demonstrating relatively simple crafts or artistic techniques for various ages; some will be more appropriate for younger kids, some better for older kids.
- STEM - Short videos demonstrating simple experiments you can do at home with everyday materials, or short informational videos. Intended ages will vary.
- Booktalks & Trailers - These could be for anything from picture books through YA.
- Webinars - I discovered a while back that I enjoy making presentations, so when I was searching for something productive to do during my extended administrative leave during the Covid-19 shutdown and needing a new challenge, I decided to record a few and share them on my blog. I've listed the titles below, which will link to a page with a full description, embedded video, and even a link for a certificate of completion.
Feel free to share, but please link back to this blog.